[78-L] Story of the LP

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 1 21:10:16 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "DAVID BURNHAM" <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> Actually, none of the pre-1948 items was called "LP". Columbia named it
> that
>> and launched it in June 1948, so to be specific, yes it's 60 years for
>> the LP,
>> an anniversary which didn't seem to get much attention that I was aware
>> of.

True...there was no NEED to refer to other speeds! RCA DID introduce
33.3 "Program Transcriptions" c.1932...but you needed a "top-of-the-line"
RCA player for those...and those DIDN'T sell in the midst of the last
"Great Depression!"

Other than that, "records" (as far as the public knew...?!) rotated at
78(+/-)
rpm, were made of black shellac, and contained one song per side!

...stevenc