[78-L] Removing dealer, tax, return address and other labels pasted on 78 record labels

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 1 20:35:12 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Bresler" <joel.br at verizon.net>
> Dear friends:
> Any suggestions on how to get these fiendish buggers off? Without damaging
> the underlying label or the record, of course.

In fact, I consider all of those to be part of a record's "individual
history"...and,
as a result, I DON'T want them removed!

However, I forget that you are serving a clientele which is MUCH more 45/LP
oriented...and, as a result, FLEE at the sight of the dreaded "SOL" (sticker
on label)...?!

In fact, I once bought an original-issue Brunswick of Billie Holiday's "Miss
Brown To You" (from her classic 1935 session...!) for two bucks & change
because it carried a note "paint on record!" Indeed, there WAS paint; the
previous, possibly original, owner had "written" a number in white enamel...
TOTALLY in the run-out area, and NOT affecting play!

BTW, many "stickers" use water-based adhesives...and can be removed
after a dampened cloth is placed over the label...?!

...stevenc