[78-L] LP-WW1, first president

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Mon Dec 1 18:10:32 PST 2008

> From: William A Brent <bbrent at pipeline.com>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] ^ Story of the LP

> At 02:35 PM 12/1/2008, you wrote:
> >  I remember getting detention in high school when I disagreed with the
> >teacher when he said WWI ended in 1918 and I said it actually didn't end
> >until 1920 when the Treaty of Versailles took effect, but actually I
guess
> >it was 1923 when a treaty was finally signed by Turkey!

My fifth grade teacher tried to give me a failing grade on a history test
because   just one of the answers disagreed with  her  teachings!  The
question was "Who was the first  president  of the newly formed United
States" and I  correctly answered John Hanson of Maryland, who was indeed
the first president of the continental congress and  George Washington was
the 8th  man to  have the title of president in the new democracy.  My
Father intervened with Miss Irene Best (Yep, it really was her name and Dad
had  her for fifth grade  more than 30 years earlier)  Still remember how
proud I was of Dad when he showed her  the documentation in the teacher's
own  history book and told her to either pass me,  fail the rest of the
class or learn  to be  really specific when composing questions for her
tests or he would  take it up with the school board.
Even at the age of 10, I  insisted on  specificity.
Jim Whipkey