[78-L] Silent surface (a personal history) and a new question

Pablo Varela pablovarela73 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Dec 1 12:15:08 PST 2008

Hello all: this is maybe an off topic since I will talk about 33 rpm and not 78, but in the final item I will ask you some question about it.
After working near two weaks over 18 LP of clasical music for a radio station I have a very little reflexion. How RCA can said that Dynagroove had a "silent surface"?
I cannot say wich of the four LP I doubbed had the more scratchly sourface, only compared with HMV early 33 RPM. Ironically, pre Dynagroove had more silent sourface and was more easy to transfer and declick. Someone told me that I need to change stylus for those records, I don't believe so, because I try four diferent cartridges with a diferent sort of stylus and no difference was noted. The most problematic was an 1964 LP containing Beethoven's Leonora No 3 Ouverture and Schumann Fourth by Erich Leinsdorf conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra. I have to remove every visual click by hand and let the other part of the work to DC7 wich I use very sparingly.
Do you have similar experinces? What was the most difficult LP you have to transfer?

Here is the question.
My collection of LP and "78" is a special mix of edition from Uruguay (I'm from Uruguay) Argentina, Brazil, Chile and the other portion from UK, France, Germany and USA.
My question is the follow. Sometimes or very often I have uruguayan edition of USA recording. The best is an example. Antar, was a local record label that use to release records from Vanguard, Vox and Telefunken, very often from pre-stereo era and also from pre-RIAA era. In those situation in wich the master is from pre-RIAA era, what I have to do?
Look for the original label non RIAA curve? Asume that Antar use and specific non-RIAA curve? What happend if the original is from 1952 and here was released in 1964 (don't laugh, happends a lot here in Uruguay)?

Best wishes
Pablo.

¡Buscá desde tu celular!

Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro