[78-L] 78 Thanks

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 27 21:33:58 PST 2008

Learn something every day. Allen wrote the lyrics to Ray Brown's existing
melody..since I'm encountering these lyrics for the first time NOW (and have
never heard them in 45 years), I assumed that Steve had had a hand in the tune.

Lyrics for GRAVY WALTZ

GRAVY WALTZ
(Ray Brown / Steve Allen)
Joe Williams & Friends - 1963

Pretty mamma?s in the kitchen this glorious day
Smell the gravy simmerin? nearly half a mile away
Lady morning glory, I say good morning to you
Chirpy little chickadee told me that my baby was true

Well, she really ran to get her frying pan
When she saw me coming
Gonna get a taste before it goes to waste
This honeybee?s humming
Mister Weeping Willow, I?m through with all of my faults
?cause my baby?s ready to do the ever new gravy waltz

Well, she really ran to get her frying pan
When she saw me coming
I?m gonna get a taste before it goes to waste
This honeybee?s humming
Mister Weeping Willow, I?m through with all of my faults
?cause my baby?s ready to do the ever new gravy waltz

Mr Weeping Willow, I?m through with all of my faults
?cause my baby is ready to do the ever new gravy,
Mmm, nice gravy dear, waltz.
http://www.moresonglyrics.com/music/lyrics.aspx?id=15417