[78-L] Fleischer's Gullivers Travels coming in March

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Nov 26 16:01:44 PST 2008

Steve Ramm wrote:
> Here's the LATEST I got. Expecting more soon. I asked about the restored stereo when it was issued in 1939 in MONO.
>
> But they are still "producing" it, so stay tuned ;-)
>
> “coming from a source close to the production…:
> “Newly restored and re-mastered from the original source 35mm film, enhanced for 16x9 for the first time ever! Includes the restored original stereographic soundtrack as well as newly enhanced stereo and 5.1 audio options.”
> _________________
What is an "original stereographic (sic.) soundtrack"???????   Although
there were some studios (such as MGM) that were recording musical
numbers in multi-track "angles" in the late 1930s, I doubt that
Fleischer was.  Only Disney ever released a multi-channel movie in that
era, "Fantasia".  What is even more definate is that this film was made
in 3 x 4 aspect ratio, and that making it into 16 x 9 will immediately
remove any chance of any classic movie buyers -- their prime audience --
from even considering buying it.  Considering that there are previous
DVD issues that have good reviews and are selling for as little as 49
cents, this production seems doomed.  Steve, tell them that.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com