[78-L] Sound remaster an restoration/where to start

Mike Richter mrichter at cpl.net
Wed Nov 26 10:54:40 PST 2008

P G C wrote:
> At the end, would you keep the resulting files as WAV or compress it to someting like MP3?
>
> (I have HD space so I keep the original "flat" file in WAV (maybe future SW filters, or experience, can get better results) and the resulting remaster in MP3)

Logically, the answer is "yes".

Any significant audio archiving - even if only for one's personal access
- should be in a lossless format. Whether WAV, AIFF, APE, FLAC or
something else depends on individual tradeoffs.

For ease of access and convenience, one may also want one or more lossy
formats such as MP3.

Example: All of Caruso's recordings may be published on ten discs in
CD-DA with one implicit index; or on a single CD-ROM with indexes of
various sorts in serviceable MP3. They serve different purposes such
that neither format would be desirable for the other function.

Mike
mrichter at cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/