[78-L] Story of the LP (queries)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Nov 26 10:32:30 PST 2008

Bertrand CHAUMELLE wrote:
> Yes, the 10" microgroove is also a LP. In Europe, they were sometimes
> called 'Medium-Play' (Decca, Telefunken).
>
> Harold A. Harley from Britain started "High Fidelity" en 1926, and the
> term became popular in 1934.
>
> The first commercial stereo recordings were released by Atlantic in
> March 1953: left and right channels recorded on two separate grooves.

It all depends on what you mean by "commercial".  The dual groove
"Binaural" system was created and marketed by Cook, and he released 20
or 30 of them on his own label, which was an established commercial
label..  The Wilbur de Paris record on Atlantic (which I have) was
obviously cut by Cook -- his large and deep scribed matrix numbers were
very distinctive.   While I have Cook catalogs, Schwann and The Long
Player did not list the Binaruals separately, so I don't have listings
of release dates or what other non-Cook records came out on this
system.  Anybody have this info?

> The first commercial stereo recordings in their current format (only
> one groove) were released by Audio Fidelity in November 1957.
>

> BC

For many years I started doubting the existance of this one release
because it was never in any catalog, even their own.  But I now have a
dub and scans of the labels and cover.   Their  first four regular
releases hit the stores in probably March 58 and were not mentioned in
their ads in the Feb Schwann. The November sampler is nowhere to be seen.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com