[78-L] Sound remaster an restoration/where to start

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Nov 26 09:54:30 PST 2008

P G C wrote:
> At the end, would you keep the resulting files as WAV or compress it to someting like MP3?
>
> (I have HD space so I keep the original "flat" file in WAV (maybe future SW filters, or experience, can get better results) and the resulting remaster in MP3)

Only put it in MP3 for a portable player or for compressed distribution
via the web.  Once it is in MP3 it can't really be expanded back to a
wav for reworking.  If the only thing you have in wav is the original
flat file, you would have to start all over again but at least you would
be able to do it.  If you have the space, keep it.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com