[78-L] High fidelity

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Nov 25 17:37:47 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "S&R Pinsker" <spinsker at erols.com>
> "WQXR the high fidelity station of the
> NY Times". @1550, later 1560 kilocycles.
> You people are really jogging my memory!
> Indeed, the broadcast band ended @ 1500
> and WQXR transmitted at 15k, or was it 20k?
> bandwidth. Were there any others?
> Did police radio start @ 1600 back in those
> pre-historic times?

The 1500-1600 range was originally intended for "police" and other
mobile services...but this was bothered by problems with"skip," and
commercial broadcasters desperately wanted more space! And it
would appear that WQXR was one (if not the ONLY) "high-
fidelity" station to use that range for the wider bandwidth originally
planned. IIRC, these channels were set up for 15KHz bandwidth;
if anyone has access to a complete backfile of "Radio News," all
the details appeared therein c.1935...?!

...stevenc