[78-L] That Early 20s Okeh sound

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Nov 25 17:31:42 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <SUPRBATONE at aol.com>
>I have read that engineer Charles Hibbard was the man responsible for the
> great sound of the acoustical OKehs.  If true, he's the same genius who
> set up
> the Original Dixieland Jazz Band for their first Victor session in
> February,
> 1917, with such perfect results.  Hibbard deserves more recognition as a
> Hi Fi
> pioneer.
>
> Those OKeh acoustics are the last word in pre-electric quality, I agree.
> Even without special EQ, their live, colorful, clear sound just jumps out
> at you.
> Edison Diamond Discs sometimes equal or surpass this, but not
> consistently.
> All the other acoustic brands need help.
>
> Has anyone thoughts about OKeh's odd, lengthy transition from acoustic to
> electric?  Victor and Columbia switched from acoustic to Western Electric
> almost
> overnight, ca. March, 1925.  At OKeh, the process took about nine months,
> an
> actual gestation, a gradual dissolve, lasting from about April of '26 to
> January of '27.  The evolution of OKeh sound in this period is
> fascinating.  Anybody
> got inside information?  -Brad Kay

Okek's pre-Columbia recordings were labelled "Tru(e?)tone"...these may or
may
not be electrics. Like Brunswick, their later acoustics were so GOOD...and
their
first electrics so BAD...is is usually hard to tell the difference!

I wonder if Columbia didn't duplicate Okeh's acoustic set-up when they
acquired
the firm...and then use THAT to keep Harmony et al acoustic into 1930...?!

...stevenc