[78-L] Early 20s Okeh sound

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 20:43:14 PST 2008

The Okeh's that sound quite good are from NYC, not Chicago. It is typical, even in later eras, to talk about how great a label sounds, but remember the "territory" recordings may not sound like that at all, and not necessarily advantageous, (examples also include the 1929 Paul Howard's do not sound like Victor's, and in a more modern era Cootie Williams Capitol's have little of the sound we associate with Capitol's excellent LA studios recordings of the middle 40's). The Okeh Oliver's don't sound that bad to me, but they don't SOUND like 1923 Okeh's from NYC (many of the Mamie Smith records sound great to my ears sonically)
Yves Francois