[78-L] Story of the LP (queries)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Nov 24 20:13:05 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
>>> When the name Hi-Fi started?
> RCA Victor used the term High Fidelity in the 1930s.

"High Fidelity" MAY have been used for a planned (no idea
if it ever happened...?!) use of the newly-assigned 1500-1600kHz
expansion of the "broadcast band"...I read about this while reading
my way through a backfile of "Radio News" I found in the ISU
library. The plan was to have AM stations with increased bandwidth
(15kHz, IIRC) in this space...which were to be called "high fidelity"
stations.

In fact, my E. H. Scott 800-B IS "high fidelity," albeit monophonic;
it uses push-pull 6L6's feeding a co-axial speaker...!

...stevenc