[78-L] Story of the LP (queries)

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 13:05:37 PST 2008

In the indie world of the 80s and 90s, and even up to today, it's been considered uncool to put actual information (song titles, artist, speed) on your record labels, or maybe they'll put all the info for both sides on side B, while A just gets a picture. This gets very interesting when the thing is 33 on one side and 45 on the other, and is blurry electronic sound for a while before the vocals kick in (the vocals usually tell you if you're doing it wrong). DJ, audition your selections!

Of course, the late great John Peel was famous for playing records at the wrong speed for the first few seconds, then switching it up or down in mid-play, often with a muttered "oh, christ, I've done it again" on the microphone.

--
Steve.

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>