[78-L] Dumbest thing you've ever done to a 78, was Re: R Johnson auction

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Nov 21 20:36:56 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cliff Bolling" <cdb1950 at yahoo.com>
> Went to a great garage sale with lots of really good 78s. I carefully
> stuck the best 12 in an album and went to stash them in the garage to
> record later. The lock on the garage door was stuck a little so I bent
> over to give it a jerk and all 12 of the records fell out the top of the
> album and hit the driveway. They all hit the concrete in the same way, on
> edge, and had the same quarter sized bite out of the edge. BUmmer.

Did this once...a LONG time ago...! Found, at Goodwill, a Jean Goldkette
Victor disc.
Stuck it in a bag. On my way home, the disc escaped from the bag and dropped
to the
concrete sidewalk about four feet below...!

HOWEVER, the odd thing is that it survived its misadventure...winding up
with an
edge chip (out of play!) on each side, showing where it had hit...! It had
apparently
hit the sidewalk edge-first, straight up...!

The odd thing is that I have HUNDREDS of essentially-useless 78's...but THEY
never seem to get broken, stepped upon or otherwise destroyed...?!

...stevenc