[78-L] Dumbest thing you've ever done to a 78, was Re: R Johnson auction

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Nov 21 20:27:02 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>A gorgeous late pressing of Whiteman doing the Mississippi Suite came to
>grief
> one day when I rolled my chair forward and the wheel base came in contact
> with
> the record. There went THAT compilation.
> Not ponying up 70 cents (35 per disc) for Carpenter's "Skyscrapers" on
> Program
> Transcription one Saturday afternoon in 1962 was pretty dumb.
> Not buying the transcription collection I was offered about 10 years ago
> which
> included a presentation set of lacquers of the Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall
> Concert (plus the program) fits in there as well, although the stakes were
> slightly higher.

Just this spring, in fact...! At the 2008 CCC, bought the Lombardo 12"
Columbia...
the ONLY Lombardo I'm missing! Without thinking, stuck it into a bag full of
10"discs...needless to say, it was NOT intact when I arrived home!!

BTW, anybody happen to have an extra copy? IIRC, it's "St.Louis Blues"...?!

...stevenc