[78-L] R Johnson auction

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Nov 21 16:51:09 PST 2008

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> Interesting coincidence. A copy of the Erskine Tate Vocalion was up
> on eBay recently until it, too, was reported as broken.

What is interesting is that in addition to the two label scans he had
put up a photo of almost the full record.  So this copy was not
laminated or is the problem a lam crack?  Note that there were a couple
of internal cracks under one of the labels.

There's another irony here.  Leah has put a short section on her
documentary of the Record Research Associates (a.k.a. The Syndicate")
meeting from 1984 that I had videotaped, including a discussion between
Lenny Kunstadt and Carl Kendziora about Perfect 14905 "I'm More Than
Satisfied" by Willard Robeson and his Orch (a.k.a. The Chicago Loopers).
 Lenny unpacks the record saying "Here it is.  This is the record that
Hal Flakser made me break."  And sure enough, there's a crack in it.

She's not including the audio about Hal in the documentary, but she will
probably include it in the outtakes she is hoping to show at ARSC next
Spring in a "Making of . . ." presentation she is proposing.  She's got
Joe Salerno, Kurt Nauck, David Lennick, Steve Barr, Steve Ramm, and a
whole bunch of other 78-L stars in it, including me. Also has Seth
Winner, Graham Newton, Ray Wile, Fred Williams, Tim Brooks, Peter
Munves, Dennis Rooney, Rich Markow, and still more.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com