[78-L] Fades and stuff

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu Nov 20 21:26:32 PST 2008

a) The Stokowski Nutcracker from the '30s does have the fade on the Waltz of the Flowers turnover.

b) I think the Beecham "Very well done, gentlemen" is at the end of Dance of the Sylphs by Berlioz.

c) I understand that on some issues of Piatagorgsky's recording of the Schumann cello Concerto you can hear, at the end, Leon Goosens saying something congratulatory to the cellist.  I read that in Piatagorgsky's book, "The Cellist", but I haven't played the record yet to see if I can hear it or if they got rid of it.

d) With modern computer mastering, reverb after a last loud chord on a side where the music carries on on the next side is no problem - in fact it helps smooth the side join.

e) One has to wonder why they didn't redo the last side of the Boston Pops recording of Bolero.  The brass totally mess up the coda and it sounds like they were laughing at themselves, assuming it would be done again.

db