[78-L] e-bay sellers record grading

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Wed Nov 19 09:40:37 PST 2008

I was surprised when I received a recent shipment from an e-bay dealer I've always found to be very reliable.  Everything I've purchased from him has been in excellent condition.  But this item arrived, (2 records of a 3 record set of Stravinsky's Duo Concertant with Stravinsky and Dushkin) and I was amazed at the poor quality of the records - surface cracks on all surfaces, heavy smudging, several scratches and obviously lots of wear - more like the condition I would expect to see a Wilf Carter disc than a Stravinsky Violin piece!  Since I always check the condition of a record before I bid on it, I went back to the listing and noticed that the condition was indicated as VG-.  Preparing to complain about the inaccurate rating, I noticed his "important notice", to check below for what the grading terms mean.  This is what I found:

VG- Significant wear, and surface noise may be distracting

This is actually his poorest rating, starting at "NM", (near mint).  I guess I can't really complain since he was honest about what his ratings meant, but I'm not leaving any feedback.

db