[78-L] Herwin logo design (Was:Story of the LP)

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 10:12:28 PST 2008

Somehow, this discussion of issues like upper vs. lowercase and joining of letters in tradenames has reminded me of something I have long noticed about the Herwin label's logo. While I know full well that the label was named for brothers/partners HERbert and EdWIN Schiele, I have also noticed that with the stylized way the actual logo on the labels was drawn in longhand, it can also almost be read as "Heroin". That is to say, in a cursory glance, the separation between the "r" and the "w" is subtle enough that the downstroke that begins the "w" can be seen as part of a longhand "r", with the second half of the "w" then appearing as a longhand "o", and voila, "heroin".

 Coincidentally, given how a rural American accent might tend to drawl the word "heroin"-pronouncing it something like "herwin"-it even has onomatopoeic similarity. Now, I'm not at all suggesting that this was anything more than coincidence, I'm simply registering my notice of it. Any thoughts?

Warren