[78-L] Experimental Electrics on Autograph Label

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Nov 17 10:32:44 PST 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] Experimental Electrics on Autograph Label
From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, November 17, 2008 12:44 pm
To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

1921 seems early for Marsh, although it's possible..?
http://www.mainspringpress.com/marsh_electric.html

dl

I hadn't seen this set of pages before.  The photos are great, and the
preliminary discography if very extensive.  What is very interesting is
the label photo on the lower right, the Mallard Calling record from Tom
Turpin of Memphis. Although the matrix numbers seem to be very low, 24-1
and 25-2, I have a feeling that this disc might be much later.  Note
that there are unrelated matrices of 24 and 25 also in the matrix
listing.  Furthermore, this beige label is of a style used around 1930
for the 33 R.M.P.(sic)speed music library discs that were discussed here
a couple of months ago.  What is the most interesting about this label
is the notation "This record not to be used as licensed (???) for
broadcasting, or for calling ducks is violation of the law."  The only
other early "Not for radio broadcasting" notice I've seen is on one 1924
Gennett record I have.  This picture is noted as being from David
Giovannoni, and perhaps we ought to ask him what that illegible word is,
as well as whether this seems to be a later record, or perhaps a later
pressing of early matrices.

As for that jazz record, it is listed as matrices 30 and 35.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com