[78-L] Norman Corwin

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Nov 16 10:30:01 PST 2008

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>

> Corwin has always been interested and involved in electoral politics. He
> produced and directed a show for the Democratic Party on election night,
> 1944, which is one of the most remarkable broadcasts I have ever heard.

More accurately. it was election eve, which was the night before
election day, not election night which is the night of election returns.
 I do a weekly broadcast on YesterdayUSA.com on Sunday evenings at 11:30
eastern with a mutual friend of Frank Brezee, Walden Hughes, and two
weeks ago Walden aired that 1944 Corwin program after my section.  It's
the first time I had sat down and listened to it, and it was
interesting.  During my section I mentioned having two home recorded
segments of a similar program the Republicans did in 1948 on election
eve, "The Dewey-Warren Bandwagon."  One of the segments I have of that
all-star program has Frank Morgan.  Maybe I'll play it the week of the
inauguration.

> It's great that he is still around and still contributing to the public dialogue.

In December 2001 YesterdayUSA had Corwin on to discuss the 60th anniv of
his greatest program "We Hold These Truths" (which we played) which is
the commemoration of the 150th anniv of The Bill of Rights.  I mentioned
to Corwin when I played it in my Broadcast History classes I remind them
afterwards that at the same time this program was on, the federal govn't
was laying out the plans of the interment of the Japanese in America,
including U.S. citizens.  He agreed that it was a shameful period and
that there were a few -- a VERY few -- who were brave enough to speak
out against it.  I asked him if he saw the parallels between the media
of WW II and the jingoistic coverage we were getting at that time in the
months after 9/11 and he agreed that we do have to be careful.  Frank
and Walden had him on again for his most recent birthday earlier this
year but technical difficulties prevented me from joining them.  I wish
I had a chance to be at that evening and discuss the recent media with
him.  Maybe I'll bring this up with Walden on the broadcast tonight.

> Many thanks to Cary for the report...it must have been a great evening.
> Taylor B

I'll check with Walden to see if Frank has a tape and could play it on
his evenings with Walden.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com