[78-L] Film-to-disc

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 16 09:52:59 PST 2008

David Weiner wrote:
> Michael Biel wrote:
>> Although someone did mention that RCA did experiment with film mastering
>> (the Monteux San Francisco Orch Scheherazade is the most notable example
>> where the final set was sourced from a film master)
>
> Wasn't Stokowski's RCA "THE RAVEN" from 1932 also sourced from film? I read
> that someplace.
>
> Dave W.

I believe so. Larry Holdridge has the Program Transcription version of this in
his current list.

I think Victor used film to record two Toscanini performances of Beethoven's
Fifth Symphony with the NY Philharmonic, hoping to get one to issue, but
Toscanini didn't approve them. At least one has come out on CD. Anyone know if
the Stokowski Gurrelieder was recorded on film or direct to disc? Somewhere in
the back of my mind is an interview with Sylvan Levin mentioning film.