[78-L] Can someone help this collectore re: Home Recordings like Record Disc Co?

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 16 07:34:50 PST 2008

Collector Greg Cline posted this on Phonolist but I know there are more "experts" here who can help him. He is not a 78-L member.

Please read his question and email him DIRECT at: DrGregC at msn.com

Thanks folks!

Steve

Although this may be a little off-topic, I recently came into possession of a cache of old recordings made by my uncle in 1946. These are transcriptions of the voices of my family 62 years ago. Pretty cool. He also recorded some radio programs including a game between the Yankees & the Brooklyn Dodgers.In addition to The Record Disc Corp., there are also transcription recordings on National Recording Disc, Melodisc, Century Radio Co., The Recordisc Corp., Philco Safety Record, and the Wilcox-Gay Corp. Some are recorded at 78 rpm, but most are 33 1/3.In addition to getting more information about this whole recording process, I need to solve a problem. The discs are recorded on different substrates. Paper, aluminum, and some type of magnetic iron or steel. The most valuable recordings are on the magnetic steel records.In addition to my many victrolas, I have two fully functional turntables with modern magnetic cartridges. I cannot play the discs. The cartridge gets sucked flat onto the steel records, compressing the cantilever & stylus by magnetic attraction.So. How do I play these recordings? My only solution is to find an old record player with an inexpensive crystal cartridge. Any other ideas? Any insight into this process is greatly appreciated.