[78-L] Hello and a question

James Tennyson jtennyson at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 16 05:39:09 PST 2008

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:12:25 -0500
From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [78-L] Hello and a question
To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

Michael Biel wrote:
> Although someone did mention that RCA did experiment with film mastering
> (the Monteux San Francisco Orch Scheherazade is the most notable example
> where the final set was sourced from a film master)

I did not know that! Film was also used for the awful sounding Bach Double
Concerto wherein Jascha Heifetz played with himself (1946) and the Bruch
Concerto with Menuhin (I think the problem was with the dubs in this case,
which were so bad the work was redone as soon as tape came in).

Nor did I , and I would be interested in learning more. I have the early lp
issue of that set and I always wondered why it sounded so good  and with no
evidence of side breaks being patched up.
The Gramophone Company  in it's early publicity about the new Abbey Road
studio stated that the facility had the capability....or that they intended
to have the capabilty...of optical recording. I wonder if they in fact
actually did once studios were opened.