[78-L] Citizen Kane question

Andrew Homzy homzy at vax2.concordia.ca
Sat Nov 15 20:17:05 PST 2008

There are several resources on the net.

The Meeker may be the best -

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/html/jots/jazzscreen-home.html
Cheers,

Andrew Homzy, Montréal

CITIZEN KANE / Orson Welles [motion picture]

Title
     CITIZEN KANE [motion picture]
Composer
     Bernard Herrmann
Director
     Orson Welles
Music Director and/or Conductor
     Bernard Herrmann
Music Supervisor
     Dave Dreyer
Orchestrator
     Bernard Herrmann
Place of Publication/Creation
     USA
Copyright Date
     1941
Form
     motion picture
Source note
     Information from: "Jazz on the Screen" by David Meeker. Used
with permission.
Songs note
     "It can't be love" by Charlie Barnet, performed by beach party
group; also cues by Max Steiner from "King Kong" and cues by
Nathaniel Shilkret, Roy Webb and Alfred Newman from previous RKO movies.
Personnel on camera note
     In the beach party sequence members of Cee Pee Johnson's Band,
including Raymond Tate, trumpet; unidentified trombone; Buddy
Collette, alto sax; Buddy Banks, tenor sax; Cee Pee Johnson, drums;
Alton Redd, vocal.
Note(s)
     Feature film (over 60 minutes).
     Unconfirmed reports suggest that Orson Welles used a piano track
by Nat King Cole during the club sequence in which the second Mrs.
Kane is interviewed. Bernard Herrmann denied any knowledge of it to
this writer: he also denied any involvement with the musicians in the
beach party scene who were hired by Welles himself. Welles' liking
for jazz is a matter of record and shortly after KANE was completed
he commissioned Duke Ellington to compose a score for a future
project, "The story of jazz". A few pages of this unused music still
exist.