[78-L] Universal releases series of vinyl LPs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Nov 15 09:52:01 PST 2008

From: Alexandre Benoit <pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr>
> http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/
> Surprising that a major label sees this as a market. Alex

Not really.  We've mentioned here a few months ago about a bunch of TV
news stories, newspaper and magazine articles that discuss how new vinyl
is the only growth market in music sales in the U.S.  As small as the
market for new vinyl is, their sales have been steadily increasing in
the past three years while CD and DVD sales have been decreasing.  Even
the sales of turntables has doubled and tripled in the past three years.
 And more and more of those TTs have included 78.  I would think that
those sales have also gone up in trendy France, although when I was last
there in 1998 I bought the ONLY vinyl disc in the Paris Galarie
Lafayette.  It was a special LP/CD combo in a bargain bin.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com