[78-L] Now Victor discography

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Nov 11 08:20:59 PST 2008

From: P G C <re_p_g_c at yahoo.com>
> Can I Post imeges here? (new to the list)

To answer this question that everybody overlooked, No.  The list strips
off any attachments.  You would have to host the picture somewhere and
give us the URL to get to it.  There are a couple of largely inactive
label lists that some of us belong to, and one of them is a Yahoo list.
I don't have the info on this computer of how to get to it.

On the point that is bothering everyone, I am glad that it is Chris Z
and not me who is taking the heat ;-) .  I hedged my bets in my wording
to take into account things like the Climax/VTM and EMI situations that
others mentioned.  Because of the marriage of HMV and English Columbia
into EMI which then bought Capitol you have weird things like the RCA
Victor Symphony Orch. on Capitol/Angel/Serephin here in the U.S.  Now
under Sony, of course, anything is possible.  It is now like the movie
industry where films produced by one company now have an added logo at
the head of one of their (then) deadly competitors.  And we used to
think it confusing with Brunswick split between Decca and Columbia, now
that is child's play -- and strangely is still in effect!  But I was
momentarily taken aback by a laminated black and silver Brusnwick 6169 I
just got of Bing's "Star Dust"/"Dancing In The Dark" that had old style
tiny matrix lettering of E 37087A and E 37086A -- but did have the added
Columbia/ARC-type stamping of the take number 1 at the 12 o'clock
position.  Ya gotta know the recording date, not what the stamped
numbers look like!  But it does look strange.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com