[78-L] Columbia Record DIscography

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Nov 10 08:13:33 PST 2008

From: P G C <re_p_g_c at yahoo.com>

> According to the data you gave in this list, this recording was from 1908, Mexico City.
> A Victor discography states that the same band, recorded the same piece, in 1907, so I am wondering...
> Is it possible that Victor sold the recording to Columbia Records in order to market it outside USA?

No.  Victor and Columbia were never really partners in exchange of
matrices like some other companies were in later years.

> If yes, was this a common practice?

It was in later years for other companies especially in the post WW-I
years, but not really for the majors.  In these pre-war years there were
some occasions when the same masters appear with different labels but
usually these were cases of custom pressings, not master leasing.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com