[78-L] Edison Diamond Disc Enquiry.

cgregory200 at comcast.net cgregory200 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 11:57:51 PST 2008

Charles Gregory Wrote:

Harry E. Humphrey, recitations, is a noted elocutionist and character artist, was born in San
Francisco in the late seventies, and began his stage career at the old Grand Opera House in San
Francisco. He has been asssociated with many prominent players, among them Frances Starr, Dorothy Donnelly, Laura Hope Crewes and William H. Crane. He supported William H. Crane in
Charles Frohman's revival of "David Harum," followed by successful seasons with A.H. Woods, Corse Payton and his own companies in Canada and Bermuda. After his return from Bermuda,
Mr. Humphrey appeared under the management of William A.Brady in "The Shepherd King."
he admirably played an important role with the big New York sucess, "Turn to the Right."

Harry E. Humphrey "On Reading and Speaking"  Along Broadway magazine

Once, while in Pittsburgh, during the period of the late war, Harry E.Humphrey, the Edison artist,
and a little impromptu talk on "The Art of Public Speaking." Almost at once, the Goverment
School for Uncle Sam's Speakers adopted his speech as a text. Mr.Humphrey is one of America's Foremost elocutionists. Mr.Edison, one of the keenest critics of  the human voice, and an expert on tone values and production, said that he "found Mr. Harry E. Humphrey's voice, delivery and
enunciation to be one of the most perfect I have ever heard." The following suggestions from him, on
reading and speaking, therefore, should be of wide interest: "Good reading, in this country, is well
nigh a lost art. Even some of our foremost actors and many of our leading orators fail to meet the test
"What do I mean by a test? Well if you wish to get a fairly good idea of a man's personal appearance,
look at his photograph;if you wish to judge his ability as a reader,listen to an Edison RE-CREATION
of his voice. Most of our prominet men and a number of well-known actors,have been thus recorded. Almost without exception, these records show;Faulty enunciation, incorrect tone production, badly
managed breathing,and a lack of timbre in the voice that frequently detracts fifty percent from the effectiveness of the speech delivered.
" A great reader should be what Emerson says of a poet- "A man without an impediment." The
majority of us has fallen heir to our share of impediments. Hence, the science of impediments.
Hence, the science of teaching must confine itself solely, if not entirely, to helping the student get rid of those impediments or mannerisms, which alone stand between him and perfect expression.

From: Spats <spats47 at ntlworld.com>