[78-L] Tops Record, is this an LP 78?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 9 09:06:19 PST 2008

Columbia made longer playing 78s in the early 30s as well..7 minutes on a
twelve-incher (of which they may have produced only one) and 5 minutes on
ten-inch, on Columbia and the budget labels as well. And the later Hit Of The
Weeks often ran over 5 minutes. Apex in Canada put out double-track records in
the early 30s, dubbing from existing recordings AND playing 2 discs slightly
out of sync, to add a bit of primitive echo. British labels put out longer
playing discs as well, on labels like 4-In-One (sp?), and in the late 40s
Caravan and Universal were doing the same thing. By 1950, Decca was regularly
putting over 4 minutes on a standard ten-inch and up to 6 minutes on a
twelve-incher, and some of Columbia's last 78 albums (Christmas with Arthur
Godfrey, Kismet--Original Cast) had 5-minute ten-inch sides.

Then there's Waldorf Music Hall, which put out MICROGROOVE 78s with 8 tracks
per side!

Scatman Crothers is on a number of those Tops discs.

dl