[78-L] Fw: The FBI IS doggin' my trail!! ^

RAY KILCOYNE kil at roadrunner.com
Sun Nov 9 01:08:11 PST 2008

From: "David Lennick"
>I was unclear..Betty sang it in the film, Jimmy's band was in the film, so
>I'm
> assuming that JD backed her. As far as I know Betty never recorded the
> song,
> unless she did it much later, but the soundtrack version appeared intact
> on a
> Paramount promo transcription (and on a Radiola LP).
>
> dl
>
> Ron L'Herault wrote:
>> Am I mis-remembering that it was HC when it was really BH or did they
>> both
>> sing it with the JD band?
>>
>> Ron L

According to the Internet Movie Data Base Betty Hutton did sing it with
Jimmy Dorsey in "The Fleet's In".  Nat Shapiro, in his Popular Music series
of books, wrote that it was introduced in that movie by Dorsey and Helen
O'Connell AND Bob Eberly.  I believe IMDB, since they usually watch the
movie for their facts, and also because dl has the Betty Hutton version on a
Paramount transcription.

On the other hand IMDB says that Helen O'Connell was in the movie but lists
no songs as being sung by her.  It doesn't seem that she'd be there just for
her looks.  So we may need some clarification on just who sang it, and if
both did, who was first.  This is important, (I think).
RayK