[78-L] Help Requested For Foreign Shipping Rates

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Nov 8 18:53:01 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm - Venerable Music" <malcolm at venerablemusic.com>
> OK - I know I am replying to my own message, but I am really hoping for
> some
> help this time - especially from our Canadian list mates!
>
> Again, for those who are interested, I have created some set price
> shipping
> rates for the upcoming Venerable Music record auctions. You can view the
> tables here - http://www.venerablemusic.com/shippingtables.htm
>
> My main question is that Canada seems to not offer a standard Air Mail
> above
> 4lb, 4oz? Using the Canadian Postal website, I was only able to get
> surface
> (or Express type) mail options. Is that correct, or am I missing
> something?
> Can you ship a 5 lb (2.5 kg) package from Canada to the UK via Air Mail?

I suspect that Canada may not use the "air mail" designation for parcels,
since
most parcels do travel by air!

However, the REALLY dismaying fact demonstrated by your tables is simply
that collecting 78rpm phonorecords, PARTICULARLY INTER-nationally, is
no longer a hobby for us ordinary NON-rich folks! The most reasonable
postage rates are within the US Of A...where ten records can be shipped
for $6 (or 60 cents each)...but this rises to about six bucks per record
for trans-Atlantic parcels!

In fact, one can currently get a Toronto-to-UK flight for around $600, taxes
and fees included. If...as I recall...you are allowed 50kg of baggage, you
could fly to the UK (in the nude?!) carrying no baggage, and bring back
50kg of records (about 220, give or take...!) which reduces the "shipping"
cost to about $3/record, with an overseas vacation thrown in...?!

...stevenc