[78-L] john lemmone

Christopher Steward chris.1picc at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 03:11:50 PST 2008

Lemmone (b. 22 June 1861, d. 16 August 1949 in Australia) recorded 12 sides for Victor on 26 August, and 7 & 9 November, 1910. Two remained unissued. The piece by Wetzger, Am Waldesbach, has Melba as accompanist on the label, but doubts have been cast on this; she almost certainly accompanied Lemmone for the first two takes in August, but the 3rd take, the issued one, was recorded in November.
He also recorded 4 obbligatos with Melba singing; the first, Soir Paien by Hue (recorded 19 May 1910) was unissued on 78s, but has been reissued on LP and now CD.  The others were recorded on 23 and 24 August 1910.
Back in Australia he recorded 4 sides for Columbia on 17 October 1935. These two discs rarely turn up.
Chris