[78-L] Fwd: turnover instructions

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 6 06:15:54 PST 2008

Martin Fenton wrote:
> David Lennick wrote:
>
>> London L 1684. I think one of the other Decca 78s may have been released here
>> at the time but I've never seen it (this knowledge is only from a memory of
>> having seen "The Goons" listed on a release sheet before my folks were
>> receiving automatic promos and before I knew who The Goons were).
>
> Thanks. It surprises me that they considered there'd be a market for it
> outside the UK, but then I was also surprised to find Canadian and South
> African pressings of the LP "Pieces of Hancock" a few years ago.

Ah, but Canada was a big market for British programs..we had Take It From Here
forever, as well as Round The Horne and Beyond Our Ken, we had the radio and TV
incarnations of Hancock, I began hearing The Goons in '56 or '57, and some of
the Canadian branches of the international record companies tapped this market.
I doubt that L1684 was issued in the States, though..London Records of Canada
probably had the use of anything it wanted to issue and could use regular North
American catalogue numbers.