[78-L] 16" Transcription Discs Question

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Nov 5 13:55:31 PST 2008

From: Stephanie Gaynor <steph_gaynor at yahoo.com>
> What size stylus should I use for a series of 1941 RCA Science
> Education Records? Any one familiar with this series of records?
> Here is more info:  RCA MS 068219  The Weather, Part 1, 1941,

A regular 78 RPM stylus will basically do for most 16-inch
transcriptions.  2.5 mils is usually recommended, but as with most 78s,
those who have multiple sizes available try them out to pick the one
that fits the best and has the lowest noise.

> The label says "use RCA Victor 100% Shadowgraphed half volume
> Steel needles with 3 ounce pressure on the needle point."

At that time most people used pick-ups that used steel needles, and
shadowgraphed types had selected shaped points that were not too sharp.
Half-volume needles were thinner and less stiff, and would wear the
vinyl pressings less.  3 ounces is VERY heavy in modern terms but was
relatively light compared to acoustical reproducers.  It's around 40
grams, I think.  Modern pickups with jewelled styli are much more gentle
than that.

> They are a friend's family treasure so I am especially timid about
> experimenting for fear that I might cause some groove damage. I
> don't have any experience with 16" discs so far, but I am about
> to pick up a proper table on which to play them. (Technics SP-15
> w/Audio Technica ATP-16T tonearm)

This will be fine.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com