[78-L] Fw: The 5 most influential 78s ever/ Charlie Parker

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 13:54:06 PST 2008

Actually some guys in Paul Whiteman's band (i.e. Henry Busse et al) made
over $180 per week, and that was in the middle and late twenties. Even
section men in the run-of-the-mill big bands of the middle late thirties and
early forties made $40 to $80 per week while the leading soloists made $80
to $200 and over.  It wasn't greed ,as " scale" was not relevant for the big
succesful bands.  All sidemen made over scale. Ballroom owners couldn't
afford fifteen piece bands when people stopped coming to dance. Greed is a
universal characteristic but it didn't kill the big bands.
The times they were a-changing.
(except for Guy (ugh) Lombardo who could even afford twin pianos.)

Al Simmons