[78-L] fwd: Phonographic Record Industry - Inquiry

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Nov 4 07:55:34 PST 2008

We're not answering all of his questions.  Billboard is a good journal
for the second part of the history he is interested in -- the post WW II
years, but there are many others.  Cash Box and Music World were
competing journals, but Variety also covered the phonograph.  Most
important are the annual yearbooks that all of them published but few
libraries have and are rarely included in the microfilms. Also are many
specific journals such as Talking Machine World that covered the field,
as well as some company publications in the early years like Edison
Phonograph Monthly.  There also are electronic dealer magazines like
Radio Retailing.  Consumer publications such as High Fidelity, Audio
(originally Audio Engineering), Hi-Fi Stereo Review (originally Hi-Fi
Review), and several others in other countries cover the 50s thru 80s,
Gramophone goes back to the 20s, American Record Guide goes back to the
30s, Saturday Review has weekly columns from the 30s thru 50s.

While technology is important to the development of the industry, patent
CONTROL is the important part that cannot be overlooked.  Patents and
lawsuits dominated the competition thru WW I.  The changeover to
electrical recording dominated the second half of the 20s, the gradual
changover from wax and flow-coat mastering to lacquer dominated the 30s,
tape mastering and microgroove/vinyl/speeds dominated the late 40s and
50s, stereo dominated the late 50s and 60s, tape formats dominated the
70s, and the CD and digital dominated the 80s.  Once the initial patents
were broken/expired, sharing and licensing of technology allowed for
industry-wide standards, as well as the fact that many of the
improvements could be used by simply buying the equipment or using
facilities that had the equipment.

As for independent companies vs. the established majors, I see it as a
inhale-exhale breathing pattern.  Initial expansion contracts as the
patent cases give control to three majors until the expansion post WW I
when the patents expired.  Contraction again in the late 20s as
electrical recording quality helped the majors followed by the
depression that contracted the industry with mergers.  Decca in 34 and
Capitol in 41 started the expansion which was slowed by the war and AFM
strike, followed by the largest expansion in the latter 40s and 50s.
But all this was sucked back in with the trend of mergers again that
gobbled up all of the independents into GIANT multi-nationals.  (I have
always felt that the name of the giant WEA told it all.
Warners-Elektra-Atlantic.  Think about it.  Atlantic Records was the
most iconic company of the late 40s jazz, going into 50s R&B; initially
a two-man company.  Elektra  being the iconic folk music label of the
50s and 60s, a one-man company.  Warner Bros being the label of big name
MOR of the stereo era, while financed by a major film studio, was always
considered an independent.  Now part a major multi-national.

You know, come to think of it, ALL of the companies started small with
one or two men. For example,  Edison = Edison.  Berliner and Johnson =
Victor/Gramophone/HMV.   Jack Kapp = Decca.  Wallachs and Mercer =
Capitol.  Discounting Bell and Tainter as the technological background
of Columbia, that was the first major that seems to be dominated from
the beginning by lawyers and accountants, which soon became the
dominating forces at the heads of companies in recent decades.  Most of
us collectors feel more kindly towards record companies that seem to
have the definable personalities of dominating individual people who run
it.  For example, to use Columbia again, when Goddard Lieberson ran it,
it was different from the other majors which had lost their
personalities.

Sales and market share.  Hmmmmm.  Do we ever have honest figures that
are trustworthy?  We get accurate sales figures from the auto industry,
do we ever from the record companies?  There are the annual total sales
figures from the RIAA but they are not broken down to market share by
companies, are they?

This project sounds very similar to one that Leah is working on for one
of her professors.  I always feel so suspicious when books about the
record industry come out from people who have never interacted with the
archive/collectors/discographers community.  I'm going to be meeting
with Leah's prof for the first time tomorrow to try to get a feel of
where he is coming from.  He has been asking some of the same questions
of where do I find these things out?  In other words, Newbie Questions.
Well, everybody here was a newbie once.  Even me.  But I was 12 at the
time.

Mike (i paid my dues) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com