[78-L] Music Hall. 'Speeding' Query.

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Tue Nov 4 00:18:42 PST 2008

At 00:32 04.11.2008, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I've just been playing some British Music Hall records that Recently
>bought; all acoustics.
>They're on various labels, Winner (Edison Bell), Regal and Phoenix.
>I know that a lot of work has been done on 'speeding' operatic
>recordings, but has anyone attempted this with Music Hall
>(Vaudeville) records?
>
>Earl.

Judging from the rather absurd pitches and vocal timres on most reissue LPs and CDs of this material - no!

All three labels you cite are usually well above 78rpm; try adjusting upwards until you find a key on yor pitchpipe/keyboard, and if that key is B natural, F-sharp or something similarly rare for popular music, go 6% further up to the next. The vowel colourings (with which you are familiar being a Londoner) will tell you whether the result is OK - any record running a half or even a full tone sharp sounds "mickey-mousie", like the singer is on Helium.

Chris Zwarg