[78-L] Bell Record & Macy's Recordings

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Nov 3 18:21:48 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Okay, Rust lists that pairing as Globe 7197 (hence the phantom "7"). Bell
> issues were three-digit numbers with a P- prefix, Globe added a 7 in front
> and
> Arto a 9. Only the Globe issue is in Rust. New York, c. December 1922, and
> no
> information on personnel or instrumentation.

This was very close to the end of Bell as a client label for Arto (or,
possibly,
the Arto operation itself?). Thus, the records show the Globe numbers rather
than the Arto 9197 (which, in fact, may not have been pressed at all...?!).

I have Globe 722* (forget the exact number...?!) and it appears to have
been pressed by Emerson, as were the Bell records of that transitional
period. By the low P-23* issues, Bell records no longer showed any
923* data; in fact, they showed NOTHING in the run-outs! Most use
ERL sides, but a few use Plaza sides; this suggests a "Scranton Button"
source...?!

...stevenc