[78-L] Help Identifying a 78

AllenAmet at aol.com AllenAmet at aol.com
Sat Nov 1 15:01:41 PDT 2008

In a message dated 11/1/2008 4:40:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de writes:

>The  'Synchrodiscs' used by Messter/Duskes were 24" in diameter. Have  those
been found and used in any  restorations?

-----------------------

   >> Where have you got that bit of wisdom from?  (serious question!) <<

 -----------------
  In poring over some related notes for these 2 men, I  see, among others
(for synchronized projection & sound records), a Swiss  patent 43649 and 2
British patents, 8496 (1908) and 22566 (1903), but there is  no detail cited there
(in Duskes or  Oskar Messter) for the 24" disc  of 1908. The device may have
been called the Kosmograph, but until I  can find a specific reference to the
large diameter in a printed source  (not in Jules Greenbaum's patents either),
it is probably better to be  skeptical. Nor do I see the size mentioned in
Geduld's book.... will keep  looking.

  Alfred Duskes eventually moved from Berlin to NYC, but only patented  in
1940-42 some new arrangements for (endless) film magazines (US  2,279,022).

Allen

5 Travel Deals!