[78-L] The 5 most influential 78s ever

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 31 14:41:55 PDT 2008

not, for the most part, anything like we appreciate now. I would
however, say that Scott Joplin's work should go somewhere near the top
of our list.
I will concur with anything to do with Caruso.
Let's not forget someone else who became adept at making the most of the
medium, Sir Harry Lauder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Lauder
"...He was, at one time, the highest-paid performer in the world, making
the equivalent of £12,700 a night plus expenses, and was the first
British performer to sell more than a million records"...
And good old Marion Try Slaughter, er, Vernon Dalhart.
http://www.countrymusichalloffame.com/site/inductees.aspx?cid=111
"...His 1924 Victor recording of “The Wreck of the Old ’97” coupled with
“The Prisoner’s Song” became country music’s first million-seller and
redirected the course of his career"...

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.