[78-L] Casa Loma broadcasts

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 29 18:55:20 PDT 2008

The Goodman Camel Caravans were recorded by R.J. Reynolds; they turned up
several years ago after repeated inquiries by Russ Connor. Maybe the Casa
Loma broadcasts were taken down by them as well.
Jeff Sultanof
> >> From: "Chris Albertson" <bessiesmith at mac.com>

Fanfare Records put out a whole LP of hot Casa Loma instrumentals from the
1935-36 Camel Caravan shows. - Fanfare 11-111.  Jack Sohmer wrote the worst
set of liner notes for this LP I've ever read, as he spends the entire text
saying that the band couldn't swing and you were wasting your time and money
if you bought this LP!
Some of the phrases he uses: "Totally devoid of musical imagination and
taste;" "ineptitude;" "stiff, mechanical and unimaginative;" and
"unrelenting rigidity."  Sure makes you want to hear the music, huh?
Actually, I love Casa Loma!

Dave W.