[78-L] What time Is It? (the sequel)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Oct 26 18:03:29 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Spats" <spats47 at ntlworld.com>
> What puzzles me is hearing that the Global Economic Meltdown was
> initiated by sub-prime mortgages in the USA, that the US balance of
> payments is now incredibly negative yet, the pound sterling has
> tumbled versus the US dollar! It was almost $2 to the pound quite
> recently. Now it's $1.60!
>
> I can see no logic in this whatsoever. Maybe it's the Obama effect! ;-)
>
> More importantly, it will cost me more to buy 78s in the USA, now... ;-(

Yup...and the $Cdn is rapidly becoming all-but-worthless, IN SPITE of
the fact that our economy is still MUCH stronger than Dubya's "We
GOTTA Kill All Them Ay-rabs"-depleted economy?!

Further, fear not...even if you COULD afford to buy 78's from US
sellers, it would cost you an arm and BOTH legs in postage to get
them "across the pond!"

About 25 or so years ago, I used to buy gazillions of 78rpm phonodiscs
from various UK dealers...! About a decade or so later, I noticed that
I could still buy them for less than a buck(Cdn)...but that the postage
to get them here across the Atlantic was starting to approach $2...or
twice (often MORE) what the record had cost me!

In fact, I can now pay $99 (plus another $300+ taxes and fees) to take
a charter flight across the ocean! Now, IF the baggage allowance is
still 66kg (145.3 lbs or thereabouts)...I can put around 290 78's in
my suitcase (how I'm gonna CARRY it, at my age, remains open to
question...?!), and hand-carrying the dommed records home is MUCH
cheaper than intercontinental mail...?!

Something's WRONG here!

Comment ca va?"

...stevenc
(the second "C" should have a little hanging-down hook-like
thingy on it...I think...?!)