[78-L] Parlow - was Heifetz

Howard Friedman hsf318 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 23 11:39:28 PDT 2008

And another Auer student was Canadian, Kathleen Parlow (1890-1963).

Parlow was the first "foreigner" to study in St. Petersburg. Her
career and recordings pre-date Heifetz - she was more a contemporary
of Auer's favourite student, Elman. Yet, in a sort of back-handed
compliment, Auer characterized Parlow as "Elman in a skirt".

Parlow went on to be known as "The World's Greatest Woman Violinist".

Did anyone ever reach the pinnacle-of-prominence in being called "The
World's Greatest Man Violinist"? !

http://www.lac-bac.gc.ca/gramophone/m2-1022-e.html

Cheers,

I don't know who taught Erika Morini, but she was just about the equal of Heifetz in the first two decades of the last century!  But check out this website!

http://www.arbiterrecords.com/morini.html

As for "Th World's Greatest Man Violinist,"  Jascha held that position hands down for most of the last century, even if noone called him that.  I would rank Milstein a close second.

Howard