[78-L] Heifetz etc.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 23 03:27:21 PDT 2008

Hi!

Unlike you, I LOVE the Tchaikowsky. Heifetz's versions, all great,
were even better than my previous favourite versions by Elman and
Huberman.

His Canzonetta recording of about 1917, however, is different from
his later performances.
As a youth, there was more overt emotion, methinks.

Apparently, when he turned up for his very first recording session
for the recording horn, the engineers, seeing a such a young man,
asked him which pieces that he'd prepared to record. He replied
simply by asking them what THEY'd like him to record. He pretty much
know the whole vioin repertoire off by heart!

I must find this comedy fiddle player! It sounds like fun! ;-)

Earl.