[78-L] Venuti! answer to Steven re: Lewis

Howard Friedman hsf318 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 22 21:14:32 PDT 2008

Yves, you wrote

Steven
   Sol Klien, brother of trumpeter Dave Klien is the hot violinist on numerous Ted Lewis records, BTW Lewis made some of the best jazz records in the late 20's and early 30's, guess that would be obvious, for he had Muggsy and Dave Klien on trumpets, George Brunis on trombone, numerous fine reed men (from Don Murray, Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, to Rod Cless and Paolo Ricci) and Sol Klein on violin, I think I can stomach any schmaltz or vaudeville antics Ted offered to get to hear that band, but then I happen to like Ted the same way I like Fess Williams , guess they are both entertainers from a bygone era (Fess did play on some blues dates and even made a proto R&B record around 1945)
all the best
Yves

Either you write GEORGE BRUNIES or GEORG BRUNIS, but you can't mix the two.  George dropped the last "E"s from both names for astrological reasons!  But could he tailgate!  Greatest thing since Kid Ory!  And now everyone will be on my neck with Joe Nanton, Wilbur De Paris, Jack Teagarden, etc., etc., etc.!
But you can't tell me about George, 'cause I was there when he was playing at the Three Deuces on 52nd St., backed up by Toy Wilson, Ted's brother, and himself backing up Billie Holiday,  And they would play "When the Saints Go Marching In," literally march out of the place across the street to where Art Hodes was playing, drown him out for a while, and then back to the Deuces!  What a time!

Howard

Howard