[78-L] Venuti!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 22 19:23:44 PDT 2008

Both Grappely(sp?) and Venuti were "makin' it up as they went along"...since
NO ONE prior to them had thought of using the violin as an improvisational
"jazz instrument" rather than obediently playing the supplied score for
"Beethoven's Second Movement From Ex-Lax" (or wotever?!).

Given the choice, I personally prefer (not for arguable,
musically-explicable
reasons...?!) Joe Venuti to Grappely, Eddie South, the anonymous violinist
in 1929-32 Ted Lewis recordings, or other jazz violinists or wannabes
thereof! Check out the "Lang-Venuti All-Stars" recordings (I bought both...
was actually given them as part of a deal...WELL before I knew their
musical (and, possibly, cash?!) value...!

...stevenc