[78-L] Benny & Artie

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 12:59:01 PDT 2008

Re the above, Benny Goodman was the better clarinetist technically, but
Artie Shaw was far better at improvisation, with a better tone as well.
PeeWee Russell's clarinet literally squeaked most of the time, but what came
out was amazing!  In other words, technique ain't everything.

Howard

"Artie Shaw was far better at improvisation" - huh? I don't think so - Benny
could reel off endless choruses of superb improvisation, but Shaw always
seemed to have his jazz solos worked out in advance.  I'd be hard pressed to
come up with a lengthy jazz improvisation by him.  His live 7-minute airshot
of "The Chant," for example, finds Shaw falling back on familiar patterns
and klezmer melodies when faced with a multi-chorus solo.

Dave W.