[78-L] Shaw and Goodman

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Oct 22 12:25:37 PDT 2008

Oh no...this is the original "chicken vs. egg" argument among jazz
fans....not who came first but which one is the "better" jazz musician.
But I can't resist jumping in.

I've listened to Shaw and Goodman since I was a little kid on the late
50s...even at his best,  to my ears Shaw always sounds as if he's trying too
hard.

And as to tone...uh...is it just my imagination or do I often hear a strain
in Shaw's upper register?  And how about low register...let's compare
Goodman's passage on the Victor band of "Get Happy" with Shaw's...what?  I'd
like to hear an example of Shaw attempting something similar,  but no of no
such record.  Perhaps someone can clue me in.

I could go on...as could any other Shaw or Goodman devotee/partisan...but
I'll stop for now.

Taylor B